In the season of decay and renewal, we’re asked to open ourselves wide for soul evolution, says Melinda Lee Holm. Let your deck guide the way towards the light with these tarot cards for November 2017 …
The theme for November is POWER. We start the month clearing out the debris impeding our ascension with the Death card, and then move into a series of expansions in our emotional lives, our inherent magical powers, and the courage to pursue our goals. It’s a big month!
So stay open, stay flexible, and keep your eye on the prize.
:: 11/1 Day of the Dead—Death ::
Day of the Dead was celebrated in central and southern Mexico long before the Spanish invaded and matched the indigenous celebrations of the dead to their Catholic holidays of All Saints Day and All Souls Day. The holiday is a time to honor the dead, to celebrate their lives, and keep their memories alive by making shrines, picnicing at grave sites, and leaving trails of marigolds to lead the way back home.
While the teachings of the Death card can feel extremely difficult, the acceptance of Death as a natural part of life is one of the greatest lessons we can learn. This extends to the life and death of relationships, modes of thinking, patterns of behavior, and ways of being. The Death card reminds us that we are always evolving, always growing and expanding and, yes, dying. Embrace life to the fullest by embracing the wisdom of Death.
Calling in Death:
- Wear or carry Obsidian to release what is not serving you and open communication with the Spirit World
- Eat black sesame—a favorite of Shiva, the destroyer and transformer
- Draw out your demons—literally. Drawing can help exorcise what needs releasing without the pressure of naming that comes with using written words.
- Honor the dead through prayer, lighting a candle, visiting a marker, or simply telling their stories
:: 11/13: Venus conjunct Jupiter in Scorpio—2 of Cups ::
Remember that awesome dose of expansion I talked about last month with Jupiter arriving to hang out in Scorpio for 13 months? Well, on the 13th, Venus will join Jupiter in Scorpio for just a couple weeks, steering this major expansion into the realm of beauty and L O V E. Keep your ears perked up and your eyes open for fresh waves of love energy in new or existing relationships and take a good look at any aspects of your personal beauty routine and/or concept that could use a tune-up.
To bring on a new day in the land of love, we look to the 2 of Cups. Cups represent Water, the element of emotion, and in the 2 we see the spark of what is possible in the emotional realm when 2 hearts come together. This card is all about the maagic of the initial attraction we feel when we meet someone new. This is of course sometimes a romantic attraction, but it can also be a spiritual attraction of friendship or mentorship. Love comes in many forms!
Calling in the 2 of Cups:
- Bathe with Rose Quartz—a stone or two in the tub will charge up the whole bath with heart opening energy
- Make a date with someone new
- Switch up your beauty routine with a new cosmetic—love the vessel you’re in!
- Wear pink or green, the colors of the heart center
:: 11/18: Occult Day—The Magician ::
While there is very little information about the origins of this holiday, it is on every list of November holidays. And as a proud occultist, I will gladly take the invitation to celebrate! This Occult Day, get yourself in line for those downloads of secret wisdom by calling in The Magician.
The Magician is the Tarot’s master of manifestation. In almost every representation, he is shown with the power of all four suits (wands, cups, swords, pentacles) at his disposal. In this card, we see the figure of The Magician with one hand pointed up toward the Heavens and the other pointed down toward the Earth. When we recognize that we ourselves are beings of both the Earth and the Cosmos, we can begin to open up to our innate powers of manifestation and our Magician within.
Calling in The Magician:
- Eat Cinnamon to accelerate your innate magical powers
- Create a personal mantra and say it aloud daily—use your magic words!
- Meditate with Labradorite, stone of magic and self-mastery
- Finally get that Tarot deck (or palmistry book, or grimoire, etc) you’ve been wanting for so long
:: 11/28 Red Planet Day—The Emperor ::
This celebration of the planet Mars and its association with both Scorpio and the cardinal fire sign, Aries, asks us to embrace passion, direction, and intense energy. Whether you have Aries planets or not, look to where Mars falls in your chart and celebrate and capitalize on its big dose of fiery action from the Red Planet.
The Emperor is the perfect embodiment of Mars energy in the Tarot. Energetically, The Emperor is single-minded in his determination to accomplish his goals and create the world around him that’s in exact alignment with his personal vision. While he sometimes gets a bad reputation for being cold, the true nature of The Emperor is simply to pursue his goals and ideals with an enviable purity of passion.
Calling in The Emperor:
- Wear or carry Carnelian, the warrior’s stone
- Practice The Power of No and save your energy for your own pursuits
- Power dress – suit? piles of jewelry? red lipstick? Get it.
- Make a vision board – you have to dream it to make it happen!